Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sample PErsonal Statement

Here's something I saw over the net...

Here's a physician's sample personal statement

Tips on writing a good PS (this of course presupposes that I wrote a good PS)

1. Find time to write it. My mind works best at 2 am so i prepared my PS over a couple of days at around 2 am. It's not a good idea to rush your personal statement.

2. Think of 5 to 6 things you want to emphasize on.. Are you hard working? ARe you ambitious. Don't go off writing "I am hardworking... I am ambitious" Rather think of situations in your life when these qualities were demonstrated.

3. Be honest but not melodramatic.

4. Do not plagiarize.

5. Write with your heart, edit with your head.

6. Keep it short and simple. About a short bond paper worth is enough. No novels please.

7. Again, do not plagiarize. You've gone through all those years of schooling... hey if you knew that fumarate and succinyl Co A could be found in the Kreb's cycle, personal statements should be a breeze...

8. Spell Check. Grammar check. There's this button in microsoft word that does that...

Link: http://home.att.net/~ppmd/cv-ps/ps/IM01.HTM

Again, this is not my personal statement but i saw this one good example of a personal statement over the internet.

Personal Statement for Internal Medicine


Like most of my friends growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, I had dreams of someday fighting towering infernos or frantically pursuing bank robbers. Everything changed, however, when at age ten I realized that my grandfather was seriously ill. For the next nine months I observed his courageous but unsuccessful battle against myelofibrosis. I also noticed his new doctor. Dr. Brown quickly became my most important role model. In retrospect, I realize that it was his bedside acumen, his many-comforting telephone calls, and his unrelenting, scientific approach to his patients' problems which influenced me so greatly.
In an effort to emulate Dr. Brown, I strove to develop varied abilities at school. Serving as captain of the swimming team and cross-country team, student body president, and class Valedictorian, I incorporated a balance of academics, athletics, and leadership into my high school experience. During this time, my interest in medicine was further bolstered by my encounters as a volunteer in the stroke unit of the Casa Colina Rehabilitation Hospital. Although I could not treat the patients medically, I was able to provide companionship and emotional support, which aided them in their recovery and afforded me a great sense of fulfillment.
At Princeton University, my interest in science and research prompted me to major in chemistry. In the course of my studies, I completed a senior thesis, spent a summer of research at the National Institutes of Health, was named Outstanding Chemistry Student by the New Jersey Institute of Chemists, and graduated magna cum laude. Firmly committed to a career in medicine, I entered the UCLA School of Medicine the following Fall.
My first two years at UCLA were highly successful. I excelled in the basic science courses, and in 1990, was awarded a NIH summer research fellowship. My work focused on the genetic etiology of the syndrome of generalized thyroid hormone resistance, and in 1991, I coauthored a paper based in its results.
I have found my clinical training at UCLA to be even more enjoyable than the basic science years. In particular, my favorite experiences has been the core internal medicine rotation. During this clerkship, I discovered many of the challenging tasks of internal medicine: the establishment of a possibly extended relationship with a patient, a skillful history and physical examination, a carefully formulated differential diagnosis and logical course of action, the development of new diagnostic and therapeutic modalities, and the pursuit to understand the underlying pathophysiologic processes of diseases. My strong performance and enthusiasm on the wards, coupled with my background in research, demonstrates my exceptional ability to face these tasks.
I believe that I am well qualified to enter an outstanding training program in internal medicine. I am interested in an academically oriented residency which will allow me to develop as both clinician and scientist. My ultimate goal is to become a complete physician: someone, like Dr. Brown, who practices medicine with a blend of compassion, wisdom, and scholarship in order to optimally treat each patient

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could see in my lifetime.

(Posted on Net10 for R4i Nintendo DS.)